Tuesday 21 December 2010

Diesel Competition research

I've already covered QR codes, and sadly I think my experimentation with them hasnt worked exactly how I planned.. I wanted the code to replace a characters face.. so that when you followed the link.. it took you to an image of its face and you could hold that against the character.. thus completing him.. similarly I tried showing that the QR code could show you something that wasnt previously there.. e.g. the the character hiding in the anemone.. but in the simple B&W drawing I made.. the idea feels a little stale.. whereas in Sweza's work (Berlin Cont. blog post) the use of the QR code linked to a photograph, something which is more visually stimulating in nature as it can capture more detail and depth.



Companies have adopted QR codes as a way of offering "special" content or rewards to their customers for their loyalty in their purchase... but I feel the content is rather limited at the moment.. you can only really include text or a URL within the code.. so there needs to be a worthy reward for scanning the codes. Here is a great little article on QR codes benefits and usage (link)

-----

Another new technology that I would love to see incorporated into my work would be AR.. or Augmented Reality... explained here in this video...



using this technology I wanted to add some moving elements into my flat piece.. i wanted to populate the scene I created. Sadly I dont have the technical knowledge yet to create this and would need to enlist the help of someone else.. but at the same time Im not sure if i could develop this for use on the iphone and android mobile phones... especially not in the 4 weeks we had before the mini exhibition.

theres even the possibility of my incorporating this into the PDP side of things next term... I could bring a character of mine to life.. it woudl save me sculpting and casting my own 3D toys...



----

As well as new technology, I started looking at the inclusion of sensory aids.. to help with the immersion into an alien world/under the sea. Now, I knew I wouldnt be able to afford any of these aids purely because they are expensive but the idea of including them into the piece of work was still there. Developed as a way for children with disabilities to learn, play and interact.. i feel that many adults would also enjoy some of the experiences linked with the use of these apparatus. Bubble tubes and Fibre optics would be 2 of the quickest and easiest to incorporate elements, as they have calming effects that often relate to the feeling of floating/sinking deeper into relaxation.. the fibre optic strands already looking like anemone's or jelly fish and watching the bubbles rise gives the feeling of being submerged...


even some of these toys already fit the image of being from another world or from under the sea....
taken from spacekraft.co.uk

but its the interactive and tactile side of things that interests me the most in this project. the idea that some can come in and touch the artwork rather than having to just observe it from behind a velvet rope is exciting.. i want to know what they would feel when experiencing it.. so why havent I dont more of this? I briefly experimented with it.. using the PC and desktop fans to inflate and agitate strips of plastic (demonstrated in the videos on the previous post)... but again.. I didnt have the sheer volume of work that I wanted to.. I wouldve prefered several inflated columns, all at varying heights and thickness.. maybe if I created enough I could build a path through them that you had to navigate through..


-----

Eleanor actually introduced me to the Funky Forest...


"Working together with the amazing Emily Gobeille, we created the interactive installation, 'Funky Forest' which premiered at the 2007 Cinekid festival in the Netherlands. 'Funky Forest' is an interactive ecosystem where children create trees with their body and then divert the water flowing from the waterfall to the trees to keep them alive. The health of the trees contributes to the overall health of the forest and the types of creatures that inhabit it. Made with openFrameworks."


If you watch the video, you notice the music featured is alos instrumental.. allowing again for the audience to interpret it and take away their own feelings and thoughts to the piece. This combines the fun and interactive elements I was just talking about... by involving the audience (in this case children) the artwork almost becomes alive.. it is different each time with each individual adding something new to it. Not only that, the work then becomes less about art or learning and is about fun/entertainment and experience... which after all is exactly what this brief is wanting us to create... a new way of combining illustration with the entertainment of music in a fun experience..

I actually found reference to Funky Forest via this blog which was set up by an interactive artist but it doesnt seem to have been updated for over a year... here she collates various interactive projects of her own and others

Emptyfield

----

Moving on from the sensory aids and digital interactive elements.. I was reminded of optical illusions and since I dont have the budget for a blockbusting piece of work, I started to think about things being very Lo-Fi...

whilst researching panoramic images previous, I briefly looked into tricking the eye, which is how I ended up on the 3D anaglyph side of things.. but it was also how I came across the 2 way image technique...



the image works when viewed from either the left or right, revealing a different image depending on where the viewer is stood...

i even found it in the book, Paper Engineering...


Other illusions included in the Eye,Lies and Illusions all pre-date photoshop.. so they must be Lo-fi....

this classic illusion relies on the disc spinning faster than our eyes can follow (much like how animation relies on being faster than 25 frames per second)... as the disc spins the images on either side start to blur together due to the rotation speed and appear as one single image..

In a similar way, this image works when it is lit from behind.. the silhouetted demon appears as if sitting on the chest of the sleeping woman.. invading her dreams... i guess this was the height of special effects back in 1830.




these all rely on the viewers perspective/point of view... it inspires the audience to participate in order to see the secret hidden within. Curiosity often gets the better of us all and its this intrigue which I would like to inspire in my work... if people know there is something hidden.. they will often try to find it.

-----

I think with the recent surge in films incorporating 3D, the red and blue glasses are making a come back.. so much so that a recent issue of Dazed&Confused saw Daft Punk duo captured in anaglyph glory and tying in with the release of Tron Legacy (also shown in 3D)... the technique isnt overly difficult within photography.. so I'm not sure why it isnt used more... maybe its because prolonged wearing of the glasses causes discomfort.. or maybe its not as popular as I thought.. but even years later.. I still enjoy it!




also there was a small article looking at the future of music and art mixing together.. not overly insightful.. but the artists featured use the music and web as a way of creating artwork and involving the fans... the work is more abstract and this is what I feel I shouldve done within my work rather than imposing my own narrative and ideas onto the music track..



...

but sticking with the 3D anaglyph side.. I have already said it's easy to do with photographs but I dont often see it within illustration so I went hunting for some examples to see that it was viable...



I actually stumbled upon this image which led me to www.schudio.co.uk, where I discovered a small graffiti scene that uses anaglyphs and a project involving a 3D(red and blue) illustration painted on the inside of a room/cube.. so.. it appears my basic idea has already been done.. what am I going to do next then?


(theres a brief/basic run down of the steps involved to making this image into a 3D pic)


you can view a time lapse video of it being painted and also a 360 degree video of the interior of the cube ... (link)

No comments:

Post a Comment